- 250g grated Capability Brown
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 level teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons locally brewed beer or Newcastle Brown Ale
- 4-6 slices locally fresh made bread
Capability Brown Cheese On Toast / Northern Rarebit
Making meals and snacks with your favourite Doddington cheese doesn’t have to be Masterchef standard.
Why not try some grated Capability Brown melted on toasted tiger bread (pictured) – ideal for breakfast or lunch, especially with a lightly seasoned poached egg on top.
Capability Brown cheese is a deliciously soft and creamy cheese, which lends itself very well to spreading over toast.
Or, if you’re feeling more adventurous, why not try our Northern Rarebit recipe? We always use local produce for this recipe, making it a truly northern dish.
- Mix the Capability Brown cheese, butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, flour and pepper into a saucepan.
- Add the beer a little at a time.
- Stir over a gentle heat into a paste, stop stirring, and swivel it around the saucepan.
- Leave to cool.
- Toast the bread on one side only.
- Spread the mixture on the untoasted side and brown under the grill.
- A poached egg from a local diary farm goes amazingly well with Rarebit too!