- 500 gm leaf spinach
- 135gm finely chopped cooked beetroot
- 65gm finely chopped & cored red apple
- 15 gm pinenuts dry “roasted” under a hot grill (vegetarian) or 50 gm shredded cooked pheasant breast
- 8 – 10 large spring onions caramelised in 1tbs butter
- 1 large organic egg beaten with -1tbs double cream
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8tbs fresh organic breadcrumbs
- 90 gm/4tbs grated Berwick Edge cheese
Summer Vegetable Crumble
The ingredients in this warming root vegetable crumble can be adapted to suit whatever is in season and easily available.
Less bother than a pie, vegetable crumble is a great way to use up what you have in the fridge, cupboard or freezer! You can change the filling with the seasons making green and summery fillings in the spring and summer and heartier root vegetable crumbles in the winter.
- Heat the oven to gas 4/180C
- Steam the spinach, chop the beetroot and cored apple,
- Melt the butter in a fry pan and caramelise the onions.
- Drain the spinach through a fine sieve over a large bowl. Press out any excess liquid with the back of a wooden spoon or metal tablespoon and retain for stock.
- Combine the spinach with the pinenuts (or shredded, cooked pheasant breast) and onions and spoon into a medium-sized ovenproof dish.
- Mix the apple and beetroot together and spread evenly over the spinach mixture.
- Beat 1 large organic egg with 1tbs double cream. Season with sea salt and pepper and pour over the tart surface. Bake for 10 mins. Remove from the oven and keep warm.
- Increase oven temperature to gas 6/200C
- Combine breadcrumbs with the grated cheese, spoon over the top of the vegetables and bake for 10 – 15 mins. until light gold. in colour.
- Serve warm or cold with a dish of buttered local organic new potatoes, a plate of sliced beefsteak tomatoes liberally sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper, and a large mixed salad of green leaves and fresh herbs.