- 450g pasta eg: penne
- 60g butter
- 8 tablespoons plain flour
- 770 mls whole milk
- 135g Smoked Cuddy’s Cave – grated
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (or 1 tsp if you want it more smoky)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 3 handfuls breadcrumbs
- 50g Smoked Cuddy’s Cave (finely grated)
- chives (A pinch of fresh chopped, or spring onions for serving)
Smoked Cuddy’s Cave Cheesy Pasta Bake Recipe
- Firstly cook your pasta until it is al dente, drain and rinse it under cool water. Put to one side.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Pop the milk into a pan and heat it through.
- Using a separate, large saucepan, melt the butter using a medium heat before mixing in the flour to make a roux, turn the heat down so it is just on low.
- Add the hot milk mixture gradually to the butter and flour roux and using a whisk, keep whisking it together to create a smooth sauce — keep doing this until all the milk is used and your have a smooth, thick sauce.
- Next add the mustard, smoked paprika, cheese, together with salt and black pepper to season to taste and continue cooking for about 10 minutes on low heat making sure to keep stirring all the while.
- Add the vinegar to the sauce, stir well, and remove from the heat.
- Now add the cooked pasta to the sauce and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish, then top with breadcrumbs and grated Smoked Cuddy’s Cave.
- Add a grind of black pepper and a sprinkle of smoked paprika before baking for 15 to 20 minutes until the dish is bubbling and golden. For the last 5 minutes turn the grill on to brown the top nicely.
- Sprinkle chives on the top before serving.
Thank you to Sue Todd Photography.