Job Vacancy – Assistant Herdsperson
November 24, 2020
An opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and conscientious assistant herdsperson to join the Doddington team to assist with the calf rearing and herd duties on our family run, progressive dairy unit in Northumberland.
The herd of 340 cows are currently milked twice a day with plans in place to create a new infrastructure starting with the milking parlour in early 2021. The primary focus of this role is full management and responsibility for the calf rearing and calf related tasks as well as supporting the herd manager with livestock duties and milking.
The role will involve taking charge of the calf from birth to weaning as well as working with the team managing the dairy herd, as the herd transitions and develops during this exciting period for the business.
The successful candidate must be responsible and self-motivated with a keen eye for stock and detail. Agreeing and adopting protocols will be key as will be communication skills. Previous dairy farm experience and/or working with youngstock would be advantageous but is not essential – we will provide training along with support from the wider team to develop the skill set required for anyone with a ‘can-do’ attitude. A desire to work with animals in the great outdoors is essential, along with an enthusiastic attitude and a willingness to learn.
This exciting opportunity offers a competitive salary, regular time off and includes a cottage on-site if required. The farm is in an area of outstanding beauty with excellent local amenities, excellent schools and links.
Starting Date: January 2021
For further details or to apply please email: email@example.com or telephone Jackie Maxwell in the first instance on 07968 381674
All replies will be treated in strictest confidence.
- #SpotTheDod on social media!?
- An Update from Doddington Dairy
- Cheese gifts for Mother’s Day
- Christmas Cheese Gifts
- Christmas Cheeses: Planning and Preparation
- Christmas Deliveries 2023
- Christmas Orders 2019
- Doddington 2020 Recipe Series
- Doddington cheese maker to publish children’s novel
- Doddington Dairy Scoops Best Food Producer at BBC Food and Farming Awards
- Doddington Dairy wins at ChronicleLive Rural Awards
- Doddington Milk Bar Collections
- Doddington wins three World Cheese Awards
- Doddington’s brand new recipe range
- Get our brand new Little Darling cheese at a special price for Valentine’s Day
- Get up to £15 off your New Year cheese
- Get your FREE 250g Capability Brown cheese
- Happy New Year from Doddington Dairy
- Isabelle Maxwell: Life on the farm during lockdown
- It’s All About the Taste – Great Taste Awards 2018!